Dr Karl-Heinz Bauer, Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH & Co. KG, Ingelheim
The aim of this Live Online Training is to learn the basics of the 5s method and its five standardized steps. With the help of many practical examples from pharmaceutical laboratories and offices and numerous images, we will introduce you to this Lean method. We will also provide you with the tools to successfully introduce 5s in your company.
5s helps you take a systematic approach to improving workplaces and areas. The focus is mainly on order, cleanliness and standardization of offices & workshops.
The philosophy behind 5s is that cleaning-up is also checking, inspecting, or verifying. This method was developed by the Japanese car manufacturer Toyota and, along with many other tools, 5s is a central component of the Toyota production system. Even with little effort and cost, deviations can be discovered, and errors can be prevented more easily. 5s can be applied not only to laboratory or office/administrative areas, but also to all areas of pharmaceutical production (e.g. warehouse, manufacturing, packaging, workshops, service areas).
5s is an indispensable basic building block of lean management. In a joint study by the Fraunhofer Institute for Production Engineering and Automation (IPA) and the Kaizen Institute Germany, a significant improvement potential of up to 30% was found in the administrative areas of companies, which can even be exceeded in laboratory areas.
After the introduction of 5s, audits and a process for continuous improvement (CIP) will serve you to maintain and further improve the achieved conditions in terms of order and cleanliness, with the aim of:
- Organization of the workplace
- Increasing occupational safety
- Reduction in idle and search times
- Increase efficiency
- Increase of productivity
- Improving workplace appearance & structure
This Live Online Training is aimed at employees and managers in the pharmaceutical industry, especially in the following areas:
- Pharmaceutical quality control
- Pharmaceutical development
- Quality assurance
- Contract laboratories
- Service providers
Also addressed are all employees and managers who work in an administrative work environment (offices, warehouses, archives, etc.) as well as employees who share a workstation in the office with others.
We use Webex for our live online training courses and webinars. At www.gmp-compliance.org/training/online-trainingtechnical- information you will find all the information you need to participate in our events and you can check if your system meets the necessary requirements to participate. If the installation of browser extensions is not possible due to your rights in the IT system, please contact your IT department. Webex is a standard nowadays and the necessary installation is fast and easy.
Welcome and Introduction
Learning about Kaizen and the 5s Tools
- Introduction and overview of 5s
- Terms and definitions
- Relation to Lean Management and Kaizen
- The 7 types of waste
- The origin of the 5s method
- 5s as a basic building block of lean Management
- Goals & benefits of 5s
- 5s in Detail
- Practical examples of 5s in office and administrative areas
Practical Exercise on 5s: „The Number Game”
The exercise consists of 6 phases, which represent the 5 steps of optimization:
- Set in order (systematize)
- Shine (clean up)
- Sustain (improve systematically)
goes through step by step and makes the process improvement clearly measurable and understandable for the participant.
Detailed 5s Standardization and Use Cases in QC Laboratories
- Transferability from 5s in the office to 5s in the lab
- Advantages of 5s in the lab
- Practical examples of 5s in the laboratory
- Practical examples of checkpoint-related workstations in the laboratory
- Practical examples in everyday laboratory work for the supply and disposal of QC labs with
- Disposables & auxiliary materials and
- As well as the disposal of waste.
Tools to assure Sustainability of 5s in Laboratories and Offices
- CIP (Continuous Improvement Process)
- 5s-Trainings & -Instructions
- Performance indicators
- Visualization of 5s and 5s-improvements
In two live discussion rounds, there is the opportunity to ask questions which will be answered by the speakers.